With only 12 days to go until we give up the winter rental, the last thing we need is bad weather that will hamper our preparations. So naturally we get 10 or 15 cm of new snow. We will manage, but it is frustrating that the year we are committed to go camping with all of our worldly goods in tow, is the year that Saskatchewan decides to have a freakishly late spring.
The hardest thing right now is mustering the patience to move forward without stress. Twenty five years in the landscaping business taught me that flowing with the conditions will always get you further than trying to batter down nature with sheer bloody mindedness. So in the next 12 days we will get ourselves moved out to the homestead, establish whatever level of function and comfort that we can manage and take advantage of the conditions as they improve.
This morning we had a big breakfast of garlic sausage and eggs. We are considering making this a traditional breakfast for every Easter Blizzard.
I put a call in to the only storage company in town and found that they still had no space to rent. That means just like last fall when we moved here from the west coast, the closest storage would be over 100km away. Once we are living on site, the main requirement we have for storage is simple protection from the elements. I have started scheming about ways to rig up temporary outdoor storage for the items that require only minimal protection. The local lumberyard has been providing shipping pallets and I have been hoarding tarps for the last couple of years.
The forecast for the next 12 days is a mixed bag that includes more snow and rain, but there is also enough warmth and sun predicted that we should be able to accomplish the essentials. In a curious way, I am glad that the winter rental has already been leased to someone else for the first of the month. It eliminates any agonizing over decisions that would take us sideways. Lacking options, this kamikaze prairie schooner is plunging straight ahead.